The VIRMP was created to centralize announcements for available training positions and to provide a matching system that is equitable for applicants and institutions/private practices. Participation in the VIRMP is voluntary. The AAVC does not regulate or certify internship and residency programs that are included in the VIRMP.
In 2011, the AVMA Internship Task Force created an Internship Program Disclosure Form intended to provide standardized, detailed information about programs. The AAVC reviewed the form and implemented many of the Task Force recommendations for 2012. The AAVC encourages applicants carefully consider the information provided on the Internship Disclosure Form and to research programs thoroughly prior to applying. This information is updated in the new Position Description, launched with the 2024 VIRMP.
This information is included in the description of internships listed on the VIRMP and is divided into several categories.
Internship Program Disclosure Form
- Average number of interns who started this program per year for the past 5 years
- Average number of interns who completed this program per year for the past 5 years
- Number of interns from this program who applied for a residency in the past 5 years
- Number of interns from this program who accepted a residency in the past 5 years
- Number of interns from this program who applied for a specialty internship in the past 5 years
- Number of interns from this program who accepted a specialty internship in the past 5 years
Clinical Experience and Responsibilities
- Does the intern have primary case care responsibility for first-opinion and emergency/critical care cases?
- Is the intern the primary surgeon on a broad range of elective and entry-level procedures?
- Does the intern have primary case care responsibility for complex cases with supervision by a boarded specialist?
- Are patient rounds held daily with a boarded specialist in attendance?
- What is the percentage of time the intern will be directly supervised by a veterinarian during regular office hours?
- What is the percentage of time the intern will be directly supervised by a veterinarian during after-hours?
- Are teaching rounds held weekly?
- Is the intern required to deliver a professional presentation or seminar to senior clinicians and peers?
- Does the intern have an opportunity to attend a professional meeting?
- Is financial support provided to attend a professional meeting?
- Is the intern required to submit a manuscript for publication?
- Are written performance evaluations provided?
- Does the program have a formal mentoring program?
- Will a mentor who is a veterinarian in the hospital be assigned?
- Is a formal program to develop teaching skills provided?
- Does the program have a formal program to foster interprofessional teamwork?
- Does the program provide debt management/financial counseling?
- Does the intern have access to search engines for scientific literature and online journals?
- Does the primary hospital have an intensive care unit?
- Basic clinical laboratory equipment
- Blood Bank
- Blood Gas Analysis
- Blood Pressure Monitoring
- Bone Plating Equipment
- CT Scan
- Dental Radiography
- Diagnostic Laboratory
- Digital Radiography
- Linear Accelerator
- Minimally Invasive Surgery Equipment
- Nuclear Medicine
- Paperless Medical Record
- Physical Therapy
- Point of care clinical laboratory equipment
- Average hours per week on duty
- Maximum consecutive hours on duty
- Number of days per month assigned to daytime primary emergency
- Number of days per month assigned to overnight primary emergency
- Number of days per month assigned to on-call
- Number of days per month assigned to first opinion (primary care) clinics
- Number of days per month required to work at a secondary (satellite) clinic
- Average number of 24-hour <u>off-duty</u> periods per week
While most internships are rotating and offer instruction in several disciplines, some internships only offer training in a single discipline. Applicants should be aware that some internships listed may be single discipline, also referred to as Specialty Internships.